[kdepim-users] nepomuk cleanup trashing addressbook ?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Feb 17 14:14:12 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 09:06:40 Werner Joss wrote:
> so, I just experience a very ugly behaviour from kaddressbook (kde 4.4.0):
> I have configured simple std.vcf file as a ressource for akonadi, seems to
> work ok, that means, if I add e.g. a new address in kaddressbook, it is
> propagated to std.vcf as expected.
> so far, ok.
> the problem now is: I seem to loose the newly added addresses randomly from
> time to time, that means, they are no more shown in kaddressbook, nor are
> they in std.vcf !!
> I'm under the impression, this happens mostly after I'm forced to clean up
> nepomuk databases via
>
> qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit
> rm -r ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk
> nepomukserver
>
> which happens also randomly (after ~every 3rd or 4th login, where
> akonadiserver refuses to start).
>
> anyone experienced similar things ?

Since I got akonadi/nepomuk working I've never had akonadi refuse to start, so
no.  I have been told, and it may be relevant, that akonadi flushes its cache
when it's stopped.  I'm unsure as to whether akonadi actually stops when
kontact stops using it.  I'm just wondering whether a crash of kontact on the
way out is stopping the flush happening.

Qualifying that first statement, after a kontact crash, bits get left behind
and kontact will not then restart - and this may affect akonadi.  I use System
Activity monitor to find the kontact parts - and there can be quite a lot of
them, and kill them.  After that everything is fine.

Have you tried stopping, then re-starting nepomuk without removing the
database?  You should not need to.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group