[kdepim-users] What causes reloading of email?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Feb 18 19:39:18 GMT 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010, Mike McCallister wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 February 2010 04:01:07 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 February 2010, r bartlett wrote:
> > > Every so often (it's rare) my Kmail/Kontact will suddenly reload
> > > every single mail from every single mailserver.  I don't have
> > > limits on some of these, so in one case, it reloads 11,000 plus
> > > pieces of mail.  Any idea why this occurs and what is going on?
> > > Can I stop this somehow?
> >
> > What kind of accounts are those? IMAP accounts? Or POP3 accounts?
>
> I run into this problem occasionally with my Yahoo POP account. And
> the Remove Duplicates also deletes the read mail and those tagged
> Important and Task too. When I mark messages Important, I try to
> copy it into an Important folder, but shouldn't have to do that
> either.

KMail identifies the messages it does already know by a UID (unique
identifier) issued by the POP server. A possible explanation for the
redownloading is that the server (for whatever reason) changed the UIDs.
KMail will then assume that all of those messages with the unknown UIDs
are new messages that it needs to download. The other possible
explanation is that KMail (for whatever reason) lost the UIDs of the
already downloaded messages. This could happen if KMail crashes while it
is download new mail, but I think the other explanation is more likely.

The problem with the deletion of the older copies of the duplicate
messages could be solved by changing the code so that the newer copies
are deleted. I suggest writing a bug report for this.