[kdepim-users] Akonadi woes

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sun Feb 14 08:58:06 GMT 2010

Am Saturday 13 February 2010 22:37:20 schrieb Ronny Standtke:
> So much for the WAF of the latest KDE
> version... :-)

well, seems you are right with this, at least for the transition to 4.4, which
now more and more resembles the 4.0 introduction (with the difference, that
4.0 was explicitely not intended for 'joe user').
and although some of the current hiccup may be just caused by improper
packaging/migration tools integration, there still is the fact that all this
akonadi/nepomuk stuff is not really well documented nor described for end-
users, thus leaving them more or less helpless if something goes wrong.
just take akonadiconsole as an example: this is for sure a good tool for
developers, but what sense does it make for endusers who try to fix problems,
when most of the services/settings there are not explained anywhere, so just
leaving one without any clue what all those entries are intended to do ?
well, luckily, this whole mess ATM mostly 'just' affects kaddressbook, where
the traditional approch to just keep a copy of std.vcf in a safe place still
saves one from major trouble, I just don't want to imagine what could have
happend to my emails with a comparable migration to akonadi ATM ...
so, all I want to tell all those celebrating 4.4 release parties right now:
have a look at what users experience with this all over the place (clearly not
just those using kubuntu, which is known for lousy QA w.r. to kde releases,
from time to time).

just my 0.02 €

werner
(currently forced to apply the nepomuk database cleanup over and over again,
to get akonadi running...)