[kdepim-users] KMail - Replying in HTML

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 07:47:18 BST 2010

On 04/08/2010 20:17, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 August 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> To me it is strange that this is always such an emotional issue to
>> some.
>>
>> HTML email exist, is widely used and we already can read and compose
>> them in KMail (with some limitations) so why it should not be
>> possible to reply in HTML as well goes a bit beyond me.
>
> It's pretty simple.
>
> Reading is easy because KDE has a very good HTML rendering engine (which
> the widely used webkit, which is used by most modern browsers, is based
> on, btw). KMail simply uses this rendering engine for displaying HTML
> messages. In fact, we also use it for displaying non-HTML messages.
>
> Composing is already a bit harder. KMail uses a class provided by Qt for
> the composer, but this class provides only very limited support for
> composing HTML.
>
> In order to be able to reply to HTML the composer would need to be able
> to provide much better support for composing HTML. Unfortunately,
> neither Qt nor KDE provide a ready to use component for this and writing
> such a component is not an easy task.
>
> I hope this makes things a bit clearer.
Thanks Ingo - clear and informative as usual.

I quote from the loooong list of replies to KDE Bug 86423, is the guy
correct and could it be as easily implemented as he suggests?
Qt 4.5!
QWebkit has now updated editing features, making it into the rich text
editor we want. We can do the following:

1.: Add an selection option which editor you want: Katepart for plain text
reply (for people like the author of comment 15), QWebkit+Katepart for
perfectionist’s HTML reply (like thunderbird) or only QWebkit for HTML
reply of
those not able or willing to code HTML (like gmail).

2.: If option 1 is set, the reply will be the classic “> cited message
[lienebreak] your plain text message”

3.: If option 2 is set, the reply-window will have 2 Tabs: [Rich text]
(using
QWebkit) and [HTML source] (using Katepart).
     The cited message (=the innerHTML of the body of the message you
reply to)
will be wrapped into a <blockquote class="old-mail"> tag styled to have a
colored (or grey) border on the left (right for arabic & co).
     When you switch to the [HTML source] tab, the innerHTML of the
your mail will be available for direct edit.
     When you swich back to the [Rich text] tab, the innerHTML of the <body>
will be updated.

piece of cake

PS: i will prototype it in python, since i can’t code cpp
PPS: this comment would be more lucid if formatted with HTML ;)
------- Comment #131 From flying-sheep at web.de 2010-01-26 17:12:51 (-)
[reply] -------
sorry for spamming, but of course i meant we should add the
only-plain-text-kthxbye option for people like the author of _comment 14_,
instead of his critic

and selecting the third of my proposed options would delete the two tabs and
only make the rich-text-editor available

here a video of the features of the wysiwyg-text editor features of QWebkit:
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/blogs/2009/03/12/wysiwyg-html-editor/