[kdepim-users] Archive of emails

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Aug 24 16:08:31 BST 2010

On Tuesday, 2010-08-24, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 Aug 2010 12:03:28 Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 August 2010 02:48:58 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > If you want to archive, merely as an archive, to be rarely or never
> > > accessed,  then the mail can simply be copied to the CD - but that's
> > > much easier if the folders are in maildir format.
> >
> > I'm no expert on this, but aren't maildir file names incompatible with
> > the ISO format of CDs? If I recall all of this correctly, you would have
> > to compress/tar the files before writing to CD.  Not a good solution if
> > you need to search or otherwise occasionally access them.
>
> No - why would they be?  Just to test, I chose a directory, burned it to a
> CD using K3b, verified the burn, then opened the disk in the file manager.

You most likely have the Rock Ridge extension enabled which allows for Unix
filenames to be stored.

Maildir filenames can contains characters which are not valid for e.g. Windows
filenames (i.e. maildir filenames can contain colons, which is the drive/path
separator on Windows).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring