[kdepim-users] New computer

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Aug 15 19:07:32 BST 2010

On Sunday 15 August 2010, ianseeks wrote:
> On Sunday 15 August 2010 14:01:46 Kishore wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 Aug 2010 5:54:37 pm ianseeks wrote:
> > > Question:  does each application that uses Akonadi have its own
> > > settings and  data or do all apps share one database and
> > > settings database , a bit like the Registry on that other OS?
> >
> > All apps share one database. Only the akonadi process (and/or its
> > agents) access the actual database.
>
> So this is the solution Microsoft offered as the future with Win 95
> but never actually did it.

I'm sorry, but obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.
You are confusing a database for storing data with Windows's registry.

> I think the idea is sound but its so risky no matter how solid the
> database is.

Actually, databases are much more safe than filesystem-based storage
because databases guarantee the consistency of the data. Simple
filesystem-based storage cannot give you this guarantee.

> And if anyone manages to get a copy of your database, they will have
> access to everything i.e. a single point of failure.

That's complete nonsense. If anybody manages to get a copy of your home
directory you are doomed as well. There is absolutely no difference.

> If there is an issue with one app then that could possibly stop you
> using any KDE apps that use that database.
> very scarey

If you are scared of databases then you better stop using any
application that uses anything but plain text files. Moreover, you
should be really worried about all the data about yourself that's stored
in hundreds if not thousands of databases of your government's agencies,
your ISP, any online- and offline shop you are buying stuff from, etc.