[kdepim-users] Archive of emails

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:17:38 BST 2010

On Tuesday 24 Aug 2010 12:03:28 Art Alexion wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 August 2010 02:48:58 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > If you want to archive, merely as an archive, to be rarely or never
> > accessed,  then the mail can simply be copied to the CD - but that's much
> > easier if the folders are in maildir format.
>
> I'm no expert on this, but aren't maildir file names incompatible with the
> ISO format of CDs? If I recall all of this correctly, you would have to
> compress/tar the files before writing to CD.  Not a good solution if you
> need to search or otherwise occasionally access them.

No - why would they be?  Just to test, I chose a directory, burned it to a CD
using K3b, verified the burn, then opened the disk in the file manager.  I
highlighted the whole set of messages (only 14 of them) and asked for them to
be opened with KMail.  They open as individual messages in a KMail viewer, not
as a KMail directory tree, but if they are for long-term storage and emergency
viewing only that should suffice.  Remember that current mail would in any
case be still available in the KMail tree.

I have mail going back more than 8 years in my KMail tree, but they are
divided into well-labelled folders, maildir except for a few old folders.  The
problem of slowing only happens if you have mbox files with very many
messages.  Making well-labelled sub-folders and dragging messages into them
may even be enough to cure the stated problem.

There is a different slowing problem with some versions of the Akonadi-enabled
addressbook, though it is expected that that will be cured with the new
release of Kontact.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group