[kdepim-users] KMail - Replying in HTML

John Murphy murphyjj at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 4 05:02:33 BST 2010

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 01:17:34 pm Thomas Taylor wrote:
> HTML is a known cyber attack vector,
So you browse with Lynx then?
And as someone who works in risk - everything is relative.
Websites are possibly more dangerous than mail (phising aside).
Risks (like HTML mail) need to be managed - and if you think that by "translating" the message keeps you safe - well that's your call.
Let's face it HTML mail is widespread and a defacto standard in many sectors - whether you like it or not.
Given that's the case, denying the option in KMail (or at least the ability to reply in HTML) is just denying users interactions with those sectors.
I have been around a long time - and can remember when the REAL IT guys (mainframe people) could not see the value in document structures at all.
They could not see the value in moving aways from fixed length records - and thought everyone should stick with that.
Their argument was almost the same as Frank Thieme's (above):
"As eMail is about text, so why do you need HTML for it?"
"As data processing is about data, what do you need text for?"
Anyway, I suspect we shall see the HTML reply facility added later if not sooner - I just hope it is done in a positive way with appropriate management tools for risk, not from the negative sentiments the purists (not a derogatory term) like yourself so often display.
BTW, I almost exclusively use non-HTML for everything, including answering HTML mail; but I do not wish to force my ideas on anyone else by denying them functionality.
Regards,
johnM