[kdepim-users] Archiving emails in Kmail

Llewellyn Lee 0834786881 at mtnloaded.co.za
Thu Aug 26 09:18:13 BST 2010

Hello All,
		Yesterday Ingo wrote
QOUTE

"You should really rethink this:
- CDs/DVDs are much less reliable than an external hard drive.
- CDs/DVDs are way too small for a backup of all of your data. And you
really should backup all of your data.
- CDs/DVDs are much slower than an external hard drive."

UNQOUTE

INGO I do in fact backup all my data. Every day .
Problem is that that backup proceedure includes all that mail as well being
backed up every day.

In My work I generate large PDF files , Large GIMP  Files and big Latex Files.
I avoid having to do backup of all those every day  by Archiving them on DVD
s. To ensure security of data I put the files on DVD which are labeled with
the content etc THEN I MAKE A COPY OF THE DVD so that there is a backup of
the Archive . Nothing could be safer than that
I have a tray full of DVDs all neatly labeled and dated. and marked copy
1 /copy2.

Because I archive all that Stuff My backups basically include current work
files,All that email (which is bugging me)  and the system programs. My whole
system back up is thus on 5 DVD max 20 GB. It takes 5 minutes every night to
do the backup and make the 2 nd copies of it.
If I were able to Archive those emails My Backup would be halved in size.

I want to do the same with my email files
I do not want an extra PC just to look after mails

What I am discovering from  this  users site is that although you are all very
kind and  trying to be very helpfull  You are all people who work in big
organisations linked into networks of lots of computers.

There are millions of users like me ( I personally know over 200)  of them who
use a computer as a tool . We want to concentrate on our work not on running
fancy networks and multiple computers.
I have assited 30 of those to throw out windows and run Open Suse with KDE 3.5

The idea of being able to export a copy of emails to a removeable media seems
to put many of you OFF, leaving me wondering why it should be so difficult to
achieve.
With this archive facility added KDE would be the Ultimate desktop for users
like me,  one PC run by a very busy man.

As I said on an earlier email My system is mature, it does everything
Elegantly and I would not even consider upgrading to a later version of  Suse
or KDE.

Please would one of you clever people just give us an archive facility for
KONTACT or Just an EXPORT command .up at the top among TOOLS.

Regards
Llewellyn

dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is
believed to be clean.