[kdepim-users] Fwd: Re: Saving all my emails

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Aug 19 19:40:26 BST 2010

On Thursday 19 August 2010, Art Alexion wrote:
> But is there an elegant way to *move* emails? Say, prior to a
> particular date? To archive them as opposed to just backing them up?

Well, it is possible to archive old messages, e.g. all messages which
are older than 2 months, via the Expire functionality.

What many people want is to archive old messages depending on the year,
i.e. they want to have an archive for 2009, another one for 2008, etc.
This is not possible. OTOH, I don't really see the need for this.
Sorting messages by year is only needed if one doesn't have a powerful
search (which is the most important feature of any archive).
Akonadi/Nepomuk will provide this (at some point in the future).

Also with Akonadi it would be quite easy to add support for an external
archive storage which is not always available, e.g. you would search for
a message in the archive and then KMail would tell you which of your
archives (e.g. if you use CDs) you have to insert. But those are really
dreams of what is possible in the future.