[kdepim-users] Archive of emails

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 23 18:15:09 BST 2010

On Monday 23 August 2010, Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> On Friday 20 August 2010 10:43:15 Llewellyn Lee wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Ingo Klocker wrote
> >
> > What many people want is to archive old messages depending on the
> > year, i.e. they want to have an archive for 2009, another one for
> > 2008, etc. This is not possible. OTOH, I don't really see the need
> > for this.
> >
> > Unqoute
> >
> > In fact this archiving facility is urgently required.
> > Email has overtaken the old paper mail systems  but there is a need
> > for mail systems to still provide some of the features needed to
> > manage incoming and outgoing mail. in the same way as before,
> >
> > Any small enterprise or business (like mine) must keep copies of
> > letters recieved and letters sent. Such letters will in my case
> > often have attachments of drawings, PDF files, pictures etc so the
> > Megabytes used for mail can mount up very fast.
> >
> > There are several ways that such mail is kept in order.
> > 1) In  files  dedicated to a specific customers or suppliers
> > 2) In a master file containing specific customer files inward and
> > outward with all the Individual files for a specific period
> > archived in this master file. What rules the choice of period
> > covered by the master file is in fact the volume of mail.
> > Some users might need archive by month in my case a longer period
> > will work OK
> >
> > Due to the lovely way in which Kmails Inbox and outbox show the
> > content on screen with the list being sorted by date  or sender or
> > subject line simply by clicking the mouse,  requirement (1) above
> > falls away.
> >
> > It is of course possible to create more folders in Kmail and break
> > up the mass of mail into manageable volumes BUT I do not want
> > mail from 2008 and 2009 clutering up my HARD drive. I do not want
> > to keep backing up  all that stuff iether so I want to put it onto
> > a Cd or other removeable media
> >
> > I could do selective backups and delete the files from my sytem but
> > then when I want to find a particular old letter which backup will
> > it be on ?
> >
> > Hence if I could archive to a cd ( with a mouse click) which I
> > clearly label I can take the old stuff off my Hard drive. I must
> > however be able to put that cd in the drive and veiw the mails on
> > it just as I would my normal unarchived mail.
> >
> > I know many of you will wonder why I want to save harddrive space
> > after all the drives are getting cheaper and bigger and bigger.
> > Fact is I do not trust these very compact drives which have huge
> > capacity so I backup to Cd / dvd often and end up with  backups
> > that contain all that old mail over and over and over.
> >
> > Also important to me is that any software that can be patched to
> > Kmail to provide this archive  facility must work with the older
> > versions of Kmail not just the latest version.
> >
> > I have in fact stopped updating KDE because I have a system that
> > has matured does what I need very nicely using KDE3.5 and its
> [...]

Hmm. Wouldn't it be easier to store the mail on a local IMAP server?
Then you could access the mail from any of the 5 PCs. If you often need
references to old emails then archiving those old emails on external
media doesn't sound like a good idea because it will take several
magnitudes longer to access those archived messages than it would take
to access them if they are still stored on the PC (or the IMAP server).

FWIW, I keep all mail since I started to use mail in KMail. In my sent-
mail folder there's a message from 1998 (!). I am not noticing any
slowdowns due to this.