[kdepim-users] next unread mesage, newest or oldest?

Dj YB yehielb at mail.ru
Sat Apr 10 20:15:36 BST 2010

On Saturday April 10 2010 21:07:33 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 10 April 2010, Dj YB wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm, if you use threading then I don't understand where the problem
> > > is. With threading the messages in the thread are sorted "older
> > > messages first" so that "next unread message" does exactly the
> > > right thing.
> >
> > in the mailing-lists folders where I use the threading there is no
> > problem only in the folders that are not for threads like the
> > "inbox".
>
> Okay. But then your suggestion to look at the thread date makes no sense
> to me. If the messages are not threaded then there is no thread date.

I tried to think of a solution to both threaded lists ad not threaded.
like if it is a thread then look at the thread date and if it is a regular
message then look on the message date.

> > > Or is the problem that newer threads are read before older threads?
> > > Is this really a problem? Usually, different threads are unrelated
> > > so it shouldn't really matter in which order you read them.
> >
> > that is not a problem for me.

> > > I don't think making "next unread message" jump seemingly randomly
> > > from message to message would be very user friendly.
> >
> > it shouldn't be random the messages are ordered (when not threaded)
> > by date only descending and not ascending.
>
> So you suggest that "next unread message" should move upwards when the
> messages are sorted newest first? I think this is almost a philosophical
> question. Does "next" mean "next in time" or "next in place"? Should
> "next" always move up if the sort order is descending and move down if
> the sort order is ascending (i.e. also if one sorts by subject)?

I only think that next unread is the next first(oldest) unread
message/(thread).
it just seems more natural to read messages in the order they arrived I think.

> I don't think that making the meaning of "next" depend on the sort order
> is a good idea.

but it is right now, try sorting by sender or anything not the date then do a
"next unread message" and watch the scrollbar and the dates, is it jumping
according to the date or the position in the list?

Regards,
YB