[kdepim-users] How to import Maildir after re-installing?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 20 08:55:47 BST 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010 23:50:02 Thomas Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:31:57 +0200
>
> Carsten Aulbert <carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Monday 19 April 2010 22:07:16 Thomas Taylor wrote:
> > > Any suggestions?  I really need to get some messages from January of
> > > this year but have the mail server (comcast.net) set to delete after
> > > 90 days.
> >
> > I'm not sure about kmail (others will hopefully fill in), but IF you have
> > the Maildir still on your disk, then it's just a matter of going to the
> > location and fire up a grep (or cg) there searching for files (-l option)
> > pointing to the mails you really need fast.
> >
> > Then just watch them with less/most and retrieve the information you
> > need.
> >
> > back yo kmail:
> >
> > What setting did you use beforehand? POP/IMAP/IMAP with local storage?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Carsten
>
> Thanks Carsten, I'll give grep a try.
>
> I was using POP only.  Been using that for years and haven't seen any
> advantage to change yet.

If you are using POP the messages should be in your home directory - which you
say you didn't format.  Start by taking a look at the directory.  I'd suspect
permissions - if you 'ls -l ~Maildir/' do you own the messages?  This sort of
thing often happens if you have a different user ID than previously.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group