[kdepim-users] kmail: what are server-side sub, local sub?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Sep 11 19:21:29 BST 2009

On Friday 11 September 2009, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm using kmail with dimap.  I see options for serverside
> subscription, and local subscription.  What do these mean?
>
> I have my mail sorted on the server (lots of mail lists).  Some I'm
> not interested in anymore.  I could just delete them (through kmail).
>  But, I thought I could use unsubscribe in kmail so I wouldn't see
> them all, but they'd still be on the server if I wanted them.

All (or most?) IMAP servers support (server-side) subscription. This
subscription is stored on the server and it is shared by all clients
accessing this corresponding account on the IMAP server. Most of the
time this is what one wants.

In some situations the shared server-side subscription might not be
suitable. For example, you might want to use Disconnected IMAP for a
few of your folders (because you always want to have access to those
folders even if you are offline), but for other folders online IMAP is
sufficient. In this case you'd create two different accounts in KMail
with the same account data (except for the account type) and with
different local subscription. The disadvantage of local subscription is
that it is not shared between different clients.

Recommendation: Use server-side subscription unless you need local
subscription.