[kdepim-users] Using Google Calendar in kdepim

Richard Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Sep 17 23:17:53 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Martin <yusuf.martin at googlemail.com> wrote:

> and using sudo aptitude - it then seemed to handle all the dependencies,
> including libgcol0) and have managed to install and run.

ok. Thats good to know.  My system is a pretty hybrid setup and so I
was leery of enabling full repositories on my day-to-day use machine.

> However, the process of enabling (if that is the correct word) and managing
> calendars in kontact with akonadi is really difficult to understand - surely it
> should be easier than this?

> I was, for example, trying to add an ical calendar (a UK public holidays
> calendar) and I'm darned if I can figure out how to do it!

Whats the ical source and I'll give it a try.

> Do you think this will become any simpler in Karmic?

Not for Karmic as that will ship with 4.3.x.  Ultimately, yes it will
be easier but the akonadi facility is still very new in PIM.  I've
read that KDE 4.4 will be the first release where they work on
improving the integration of akonadi into the workflow of everything.
Right now its still sort of a bolt on feature.

If you wanted to track development you can install kde-nightly from
project-neon.  It will install as a separate session in the login
manager so you can have both stable kde and bleeding edge installed at
the same time and switch between the 2.

--
Richard A. Smith