[kdepim-users] Problem with INBOX

Bengt Gördén bengan at bag.org
Fri Sep 25 14:53:35 BST 2009

On fredag 25 september 2009 14:35:10 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 25 September 2009 13:01:57 you wrote:
> > On fredag 25 september 2009 13:02:30 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > One user has a problem with INBOX (on a local IMAP server).  All
> > > subfolders work fine.  I have removed index files, but the problem
> > > persists.  The error message says
> > >
> > > Error while querying the server status.  Unable to open folder INBOX.
> > > The server replied: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for
> > > more information.
> > >
> > > There's nothing in /var/log/maillog.  Which log should I be reading?
> >
> > Three short questions:
> > 1. What OS?
>
> Mandriva Linux 2009.1 but also on the server, CentOS 5.

Ok. I don't know any of these, these days. I haven't used Mandriva since
2002-2003. CentOS never. I use OpenSUSE and Gentoo myself. And a bit Ubuntu
also.

> > 2. Which IMAP-server
>
> Dovecot

I did have a lot trouble with dovecot on a ubuntu-server 1-2 years ago. I used
kmail and IMAP on the dovecot and there were duplicated mail all over. I
usually have 2000-3000 mail in my folders and that really got to me having to
delete all those emails from time to time. Until I found "remove duplicate
mail".

I can't say that it is dovecot but we couldn't find any traces in the logs for
our problem so we made the switch to courier and we haven't had any such
problems after that. I even did a substantial analysis of several tcpdumps
without seeing anything unusual except that the dovecot server offered already
seen emails. But that only happened with kmail (not with claws).

> > 3. Which syslog-server?
>
> Not sure what you mean here, but I was checking logs on the box with
>  dovecot.

Ok. There are several different syslog-server-daemons. Normaly you just use
syslogd but I also use rsyslog and syslog-ng depending on what I need to do.
syslog-ng is the easiest to set up and to understand. rsyslog is best when you
have to forward from one server to another and keep information untouched.
YMMV.

> > Usually courier, cyrus or dovecot for IMAP. I use courier and there it is
> > courierlogger that handles the logs. Courierlogger logs to syslog. My
> >  syslog is syslog-ng and the options is normally in
> >  /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf. I've got:
>
> Mail movement is being logged correctly in /var/log/maillog.  And all the
> subfolders can be read - only INBOX itself is affected, and only for that
> one user.

Ok. I may have misunderstood you. Is it like this. You can't read the INBOX at
all but all the other folders? Have you tried wireshark or tcpdump to analyse
the communication?

> > destination mail { file("/var/log/mail"); };
> >
> > So for me it's /var/log/mail. But it is also up to what OS you're using
> > to define where the syslog should go.
>
> This is making no sense to me.  If it were the mail setup I'd expect all
>  his folders to be affected.  There's nothing different, as far as I can
>  see, from his setup under earlier Mandriva, or indeed from mine in Fedora.
>  I'm stumped!

Yes. I agree with you. It sounds weird. Bug?

regards,

/bengan