[kdepim-users] ssh tunneling with Kontact?

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 01:11:41 GMT 2009

>First, in one teriminal, do the following:

>   computer-a$ ssh -L 8888:localhost:8888 computer-b

>   #
>   # -N - no remote command
>   #
>   computer-b$ ssh -N -L 8888:localhost:22 computer-c

>In your second terminal, you can login directly to `computer-c' as
>follows:

>   ssh -p 8888 localhost

This is very much what I was hoping for!  I could log in fine, but Kontact isn't running (nor xclock).  It seems to be "Can't open display" in both.  Do I need to add the -X option somewhere?

(A while ago I was having trouble with Display and X11 and a kind soul said to try ssh -X foo kontact instead of simply sshing in and then typing kontact.  Might that also be the problem now?)

I'm able to run top and other non-graphical programs just fine.  The exact error is:

  <unknown program name>(11866)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus session: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
" <unknown program name>(11865)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.
[1]+  Exit 255                kontact

I am simply typing "kontact" at the computer-c command line...should I be typing something else?

Thanks again for your time helping with this.