[kdepim-users] ssh tunneling with Kontact?

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Mon Oct 26 00:39:27 GMT 2009

[ Comments below, in line ]

On Sunday 25 October 2009 at 8:07 pm, r bartlett penned
about "Re: [kdepim-users] ssh tunneling with Kontact?"

> That tunnels the output of port 5900 on the inner machine to my
> local port 8888.  But I am wondering if I can tunnel Kontact to my
> local machine directly from the inner machine...I can do that fine
> for the firewall machine.  The problem is that I can't seem to do
> that for the machine that's behind the firewall.

Howdy,

Think of kontact as simply an X-application.  You're wishing to have
it run on your remote machine but display locally.  At least I think
that's what you _really_ want.

Suppose my previous example didn't work, can `ssh' directly to
`computer-c' as follows.

Suppose you're on `computer-a' and you need to login to `computer-c'
via `computer-b'

First, in one teriminal, do the following:

   computer-a$ ssh -L 8888:localhost:8888 computer-b

   #
   # -N - no remote command
   #
   computer-b$ ssh -N -L 8888:localhost:22 computer-c

In your second terminal, you can login directly to `computer-c' as
follows:

   ssh -p 8888 localhost

HTH.

Cheers,
--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926      Fax:   760.860.5225 (US)