[kdepim-users] Plaintext filters?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Nov 12 20:28:47 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 November 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2009 16:36:01 Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > People,
> > anyone here tried to move from kde3.5 kmail to -4 one with lots of
> >  mailboxes etc? I'm trying to do right now, but many filters refuse
> > to be imported... So it raises questions about future upgrades and
> > what will happen then. Maybe it would be better to use plaintext
> > filter files, so they could be, at least, manually upgraded? Now I
> > just can't make myself do all again...
>
> When moving from 3.5 to 4 there is no need to import anything - and
> from what I've read of other people's experiences, importing is far
> from perfect.  Since you are importing, that implies that you still
> have copies of the original files - which should solve your problem.
>
> You didn't say whether this is a clean install, or one where 3.5 and
> 4 are both installed.  The trick is to get your original
> ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc into the current
> ~/.kde(4)/share/config/kmailrc.  Rename your current one to
> kmailrc.old and paste the original one in its place.  It should work,
> complete with filters.

Indeed. This should work fine.

Apart from that I do not understand what you mean by "plaintext filter
files". The filters are stored in the kmailrc file which is a simple
plaintext file. The actual format how the filters are stored is not
documented anywhere, but it should be more or less easy to figure it
out.