[kdepim-users] Plaintext filters?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Nov 12 18:51:08 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 November 2009 16:36:01 Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> People,
> anyone here tried to move from kde3.5 kmail to -4 one with lots of
>  mailboxes etc? I'm trying to do right now, but many filters refuse to be
>  imported... So it raises questions about future upgrades and what will
>  happen then. Maybe it would be better to use plaintext filter files, so
>  they could be, at least, manually upgraded? Now I just can't make myself
>  do all again...

When moving from 3.5 to 4 there is no need to import anything - and from what
I've read of other people's experiences, importing is far from perfect.  Since
you are importing, that implies that you still have copies of the original
files - which should solve your problem.

You didn't say whether this is a clean install, or one where 3.5 and 4 are
both installed.  The trick is to get your original ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
into the current ~/.kde(4)/share/config/kmailrc.  Rename your current one to
kmailrc.old and paste the original one in its place.  It should work, complete
with filters.

Anne