[kdepim-users] Gratitude and a few observations

Michael Lutynski michael at callthecomputerdoctor.com
Fri May 1 08:58:26 BST 2009

Hello!

Thank you for this kick-ass piece of code! I've been waiting a *long* time for my Palms to be tightly integrated into KDE and this is getting seriously exciting.

Would you mind if I voice some of my comments about how challenging it has been to get up and running? In the past, I had always hit a stumbling block right at the get-go. It wasn't until I read vanRijn's latest informative blog entry that I learned *how* to get KPilot to find my Tungsten T3. He mentioned:

... there are far better ways to figure out what connection string you should be using, and they’re pretty standard now (”/dev/ttyUSB1″ if you’re using the visor kernel module, “usb:” for libusb syncing, /dev/ttyS* for serial devices, etc.)

I couldn't find this information anywhere else, and the official KPilot homepage seems out of date and not representative of the excitement that this new release is bringing. Would it be possible for the KPilot to have a drop-down list to choose from? Or an auto-detection feature? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been blocked by this.

What would have made this easier for me is a page that talked about how to get up and running for the majority of cases, the new relationship model between KPilot and KDE now that it's using Akonadi (this is completely new), and to explain that KPilot isn't intended to be a database viewer.  Also, if it could communicate the benefits of the new architecture, that would be great too :)

Thanks again,

~Michael Lutynski
“ The Computer Doctor ”
✆ 778-317-5922 ✍ michael at callthecomputerdoctor.com ✇ www.callthecomputerdoctor.com