[kdepim-users] To which calendar does an event belong?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun May 17 16:14:50 BST 2009

On Sunday 17 May 2009, Guido Pinkernell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag 17 Mai 2009 15:06:04 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please always state what version you are using.
>
> Presently KDE 4.2.3 (release 116) on openSUSE 11.1

> > In KDE 3.5 one can assign different colors to different calendars.

> > In KDE 3.5, after creating a new event, one was asked to which
> > calendar the event should be added.
> >
> > > I am not sure, but I think that the newly added data is not being
> > > written to the calendar files, but akonadi saves it "somewhere
> > > else". So you are probably in danger of losing your data.
> >
> > KOrganizer is not yet using Akonadi (in KDE 4.2). In a beta version
> > of KDE 4.2 the calendar resources were automatically converted to
> > Akonadi bridge resources, but this was reverted in the final
> > version of KDE 4.2 because there were some problems that could not
> > be fixed for the release.
> >
> > > At least this was the case here: For some time, the option of
> > > adding new data to a specific calendar had vanished (it normally
> > > popped up after having defined a new event and then pressed OK).
> > > Then, for some reason, I reloaded the calendar files into
> > > Korganizer, and all the new data was gone. However, the option of
> > > adding it to a specific calendar was back.
> >
> > Did you use a beta of KDE 4.2? If yes, then this might explain your
> > observations.
>
> Yes, I did. Thanks for clarifying.
>
> > > I don't know how to tell akonadi to write all newly added data
> > > into your calendar files. You might be in danger of losing it, as
> > > it was the case here. Someone else might be able to tell you.
> >
> > If one's local calendars were converted to Akonadi bridge resources
> > then one can revert this by removing the calendars from KOrganizer
> > and then re-adding them as normal "Calendar in local file".
>
> Ok... What I did, though, is reloading the my existing calendar files
> (which had not been updated by korganizer). So what you suggest is
> creating a new calendar file by chosing the option "calendar in local
> file", which then is filled with all the data that is presently in
> korganizer.

I suggest to remove the old calendar from KOrganizer. This will _not_
delete the calendar file. (Nevertheless you should make a backup of the
calendar file before removing the old calendar.) Afterwards, add a new
calendar of type "Calendar in local file" to KOrganizer and point it to
the old calendar file.

> So if I understand you correctly, then it's not "re-adding" the data
> but creating a new calendar file based on the present data.

Not quite. See above.

> So how
> does Korganizer recognize whether some event originally belonged to
> calendar #1 and some other to calendar #2. Anway, right now I don't
> need to find out.

Sorry, but I don't understand the question. The number and the contents
of the calendars will not change.