[kdepim-users] export PIM data

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sun May 10 03:57:29 BST 2009

On Saturday 09 May 2009 18:53, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like export my email , address book , and calendar data ,
> from kdepim to other kdepim in other user ID .
>
> How I could do this , can you point me to any documentation , about
> export my personal data .
>
> Thanks,

Hello, Sergio --

You have not supplied many details; therefore, only a very general reply
is possible at this time.  I have had a similar question, although the
details are certainly very different.  Here is what I would suggest.

First of all, look for something that is either unique or unusual in
each set of data that you want to re-locate.  For example, use your
system search tool to find a peculiar term in an E-Mail message or a
seldom-used and rare name in a contact list.  Make careful note of
the "fully-qualified path name" to each data item.  This gives you the
locations of your source files.

Secondly, use "dummy" data -- such as a contact named "Humpty Mouse" --
to establish a search target in the new kdepim.  You might have to do
likewise with other files (such as E-Mail) also.  Do the same kind of
search, and make note of the "fully-qualified path names" once again.

If you are using KDE 4.2+, then Dolphin seems to be extremely good at
helping you to migrate.  But I would strongly suggest that
you "copy" -- rather than "move"! -- just in case something goes wrong.
If you do not have the option to use Dolphin, just about any other means
of copying will PROBABLY work.

The limitation involved is the obvious fact that fields might not be
defined the same, and this could make garbage out of otherwise useful
data.  How to define the nature and scope of that problem is obviously
a topic that cannot be addressed with the sketchy information that you
have thus far presented.  I assume, for now, that you can handle that
much -- at least if you are aware of the issue.

I hope that this actually addresses your concern and proves to be
helpful.  Best of good fortune!

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur