[kdepim-users] noob trying to build nepomuk from svn trunk

Bud Rogers budr at netride.net
Sun Mar 1 18:58:12 GMT 2009

Crossposted to kde-pim and pim-users.  My apologies for the redundancy.  Basic
question is:  where is the best place to ask for advice on building
nepomuk/strigi/desktop search from trunk?

I am a veteran of linux and open source, quite familiar with the whole
configure && make && make install routine.   I'm not at all familiar with
cmake, and I've never really done much with subversion or building from active
repositories.

I  am very interested in the whole concept of the semantic desktop.   I'm
trying to get to the point that I can build nepomuk and friends from svn and,
hopefully, actively participate in its development.

I have a development environment set up pretty much as describe on TechBase,
with most of kde/trunk.  I can run kdesvn-build and get some or all of kdebase
and others to build.  At any given time different parts build or fail.  I take
it that's not unusual with ongoing projects.

So far I have never gotten nepomuk to build.  Aside from kdesvn-build, I've
tried variations on cmakekde as described on TechBase, variations on cmake and
make.  Each fails to build with different errors.  I've come to the conclusion
that I don't know what I'm doing and I need to ask for help.

So, my real (first) question is, is either kdepim or kdepim-users the right
place to ask for help?  If not, could someone point a poor confused noob in
the right direction?

--
Bud Rogers
budr at netride.net