[kdepim-users] permanently setting page margins for printing

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 15 11:14:05 GMT 2009

On Sunday 15 March 2009, Martin Bernreuther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Samstag, 14. März 2009 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > Hmm, in KDE 3.5 the dialog where one can change the page margins
> > has a Save button.
> >
> > Did you have a look into the printer settings in KDE System
> > Settings?
>
> What about, if I only want to change the margins application specific
> in kmail? To file a printed email, I need a relative large left
> margin. I don't want to have that large left margin, if I print a
> printer-ready PDF with kpdf. There's a printer-specific margin (the
> printer is not able to print within a certain distance from the edge)
> and a layout margin.
> Do the KDE System Settings address the first or also the latter?

I'd say they address only the latter (but printer-specific margins
should already be set automatically by the system's printing framework,
e.g. on Linux by CUPS and the printer drivers). Unfortunately, during
the switch from KDE 3 to KDE 4 some functionality of KDE's printing
framework (like changing the page margins) was lost. I suggest
submitting a feature request for this (resp. voting for a probably
already existing feature request).