[kdepim-users] Akonadi problem

George Bourozikas george at bourozikas.net
Sun Mar 8 17:13:14 GMT 2009

On Saturday 07 March 2009 17:24:03 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 07 March 2009, paai wrote:
> > George Bourozikas wrote:

> > > Hi Fran,
> > >
> > > I have not been able to sync my Palm (Treo 650) since the
> > > introduction of Akonadi.  I tried killing/restarting Akonadi to no
> > > effect.  Can you please describe the sequence you follow that seems
> > > to work for you?
> >
> > After *a lot* of trying I got the Treo 650 to sync Calendar, Memos
> > and Todos. It still crashes on Contacts.
> >
> > In my view, forcing Akonadi on kdepim was a major mistake.
>
> Why? Akonadi is a new technology and might not yet be perfect. But in
> the long run it will be better than anything we ever had in kdepim.
>
> > Syncing
> > your PDA on Linux is one of its weakest spots, regardless of brand
> > and make, and messing up the only PDA that really worked is just
> > plain stupid.
>
> Does KPilot from KDE 3.5 work with your PDA? If yes, then I suggest you
> use it until we've ironed out the few problems that the new KPilot has.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

I feel ambivalent about this.  On the one hand I totally appreciate the work
that Ingo and others are putting into a resource that is not that useful in
the grand scheme of things (how many people use KPilot?)

I am also salivating over the possibilities for almost arbitrary
interconnection that are opened up by Akonadi.  Also by the use of a real DBMS
as the underlying storage mechanism.

On the other hand KPilot is a tool for me and when it suddenly stopped working
with the introduction of Akonadi I had to scramble and found very little
guidance in Google or this list.  Kind of like what happened to many people
with Vista, though not nearly as bad - in KDE 4.2 everything else actually
worked and was for the most part an improvement.  It's still a little jaring
to see what is at best advanced beta pushed as production ready just so we get
some more debuggers out there.

My personal solution to this was to move my local store to a Dovecot server
and switch to Evolution/gpilotd for a couple of weeks until I sorted things
out.  Not ideal but I was able to get my work done.

I hope people don't take this as a rant - it's certainly not meant to be.  If
there is any way I can help troubleshoot Akonadi I am more than happy to do
it.

--george