[kdepim-users] saving the whole plaintext message for archive?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jun 6 14:59:08 BST 2009

On Saturday 06 June 2009, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> On Saturday 06 June 2009 13:01:56 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > You could save those important messages with File->Save As to a
> > file. If you click on this file with Konqueror or Dolphin then the
> > message will be opened in one of KMail's reader windows. So it's
> > easy to read those archived messages.
>
> On Saturday 06 June 2009 12:59:15 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 06 June 2009 13:16:21 Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > > Still, I would like to find out about some way to copy and store
> > > a compatible plaintext email message. They, the messages,
> > > accumulate locally and I'm slowly becoming concerned about how to
> > > make archives of them, at least by saving the most important,
> > > signed messages, that can be considered some kind of document.
> > > Any suggestions on that?
> >
> > From this message,
> >
> > File > Save As - will save a text file.  Open it in kwrite and you
> > should see both the headers and the gpg signature.  HTH
> >
> > Anne
>
> This is a fragment of that file:
>------- =46rom this message,
>
> =46ile > Save As - will save a text file.  Open it in kwrite and you
> should= see=20
> both the headers and the gpg signature.  HTH
>
> Anne
> =2D-=20
>-------
>
> Its obvious, that KMail has some special format for a message.

No. A signed message is based (among others) on the following standards
supported by all email clients that are worth being called an email
client:
RFC 5322 (Internet Message Format) - This defines the basic format of
email messages.
RFC 2045-2048 (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME)) - Several
extensions of the basic format for supporting attachments, non ASCII
characters, etc.
RFC 3156 (MIME Security with OpenPGP) - This extensions describes the
format of signed and encrypted messages.

The "=46" etc. you see above are quoted-printable encoded characters as
defined in RFC 2045.

> I like
> KMail, but what if one day I'll need to read and verify that
> historical message with plain gpg and text editor?

It is not easy (but not very hard either) to verify a messages signed
according to RFC 3156 with plain gpg. Section 5 of RFC 3156 describes
how to do it.

> I ask also because
> I am about to set up some mailing lists and it seams necessary, that,
> having plaintext * pub key
> * message
> * subscription
> one should be able to assert. I haven't tried yet, do you know how to
> do it?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question.