[kdepim-users] mails become unreadable

Kārlis Repsons repsons at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 10:22:09 BST 2009

On Saturday 06 June 2009 08:02:02 Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Saturday 06 June 2009 09:14:05 schrieb Kārlis Repsons:
> > for some time I've observed a problem, that the latest mails use to
> > become unreadable after I quit kmail and then restart it. I can see
> > subject, but can't access the content.
>
> have a look at
> http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#You_have_empty_.27ghost-m
>ails.27_in_your_inbox_.28or_other_folder.29
>
> werner

Thank you.

If there is someone reading this post, here is a copy of solution:
Problem: You are loosing mail

Symptom (1): You are loosing mail. One message in your Inbox had an empty
subject line and the date 1st January 1970. When you clicked on it, it was
empty. When you clicked on the next message that changes to the same state.

Solution to (1): This happens where there is corruption in your index files.
First thing then, do not click on any more messages.

    * With the KMail 1.10 shipped with KDE 4.1 or newer, right click on the
folder and select Rebuild Index (you can do the same from the Folder menu).
    * With earlier KMail versions the process is slightly more complicated.
Close KMail. In Dolphin, navigate to where your mail is stored (typically in
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/) and look for index files associated with the
affected mailbox. There will be two or three, and be easy to spot. Delete
them. They will be recreated when you re-start KMail. You will have lost the
mails that had disappeared, but the rest of the mail should be visible again.

--
Kārlis Repsons