[kdepim-users] Looking for feedback on KOrganizer event editing tools

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Jun 23 18:23:53 BST 2009

On Sunday 21 June 2009 12:50:11 pm Erin Zolkosky wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I'm working on a project to improve the editing tools for adding
> appointments, TODO entries, and journal items in KOrganizer. If you
> have experiences and ideas to share we're looking for user input,
> specifically regarding these questions:
>
> - which of these tools do you use and how do you use them?
> - what problems do you have with them?
> - how could they be improved?

Hi Erin,

I looked through the bugs database and my own notes and
have the following thoughts (in no particular order):

* The category selector should be a multi-selectable combobox
instead of a new window that pops-up.  We have a widget
called KCheckComboBox that already is used in the to-do view
that might fit this usage.   Use the category color for the background
of the category's associated checkbox.

* most people rarely need to specify timezones different than their own.
so make the timezone comboboxes appear only on-demand, using a little
non-intrusive visual hint.

* be able to specify new categories in the editor, not just re-use existing categories.

* make sure all widgets in the editor have tooltips and whatsThis

* most incidences don't have attachments, so the attachments areas should
be a separate tab maybe?

* most of the time we don't need rich text controls -- so also hide/show those
controls on-demand

* The Title widget should show a dropdown list of recently used titles

* The Location widget should show a dropdown list of recently used locations

* Dates should show the day-of-week too.  it's nice to know that

* "Time associated" text should be replaced with "All day"

* I don't like the recurrence button with text "Edit...".

* I don't like the reminder button with text "Advanced..."

* Better template support.  how about selections along the bottom for
"load existing template", "save as new template",  "manage templates",...

* improved layout and beautification

That's all for now. :)