[kdepim-users] email filenames

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Mon Jul 6 07:05:07 BST 2009

Am Monday 06 July 2009 00:09:11 schrieb Roy Pittman:
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/cur/  each item of email has a filename
> such as 1246719454.2890.2eQ8F or 1228085517.2754.mMA7g:2,S.  I want to
> write a script that will scan an email, find the ip address from which it
> was sent and whois that address. How are these filenames generated?
>
> Any suggestions on how my script might find the name of the email I want to
> scan?

these filenames are generated according to maildir standard, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir
- there is no sense in trying to retrieve any information from the filename
itself (other than status like 'read' etc.)
I would recommend for your script to just scan all files present in the inbox
folder.

werner