[kdepim-users] About Crypto

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 23:20:43 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009, Kishore wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 Jan 2009 11:16:16 pm Werner Joss wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 06 Januar 2009 18:07:44 schrieb Kishore:
> > > 3) What do the recipients of my mail need to do? I can help with
> > > colleagues but probably not so with external people if it
> > > requires them to perform something complex before they can read
> > > my mail. What would they need to do?
> >
> > in short: anyone you want to send an encrypted mail to, will first
> > have to send you his public (gnupg) key (or you grab it from a
> > public keyserver). you can then use this to encrypt the message -
> > the recipient can then decrypt it using his private key.
> > same applies the other way round :)
>
> Interesting... always wondered how this worked! :) Oh and it seems
> that you can only do encryption with rsa keys  and not dsa keys!

It's a bit more complicated. With RSA keys you can sign and encrypt.
With DSA and Elgamal keys you can sign (which is done with the DSA key)
and encrypt (which is done with the Elgamal key which is generated as
subkey of the DSA key).

I suggest to create a DSA/Elgamal key (i.e. the default of GnuPG).