[kdepim-users] Problem with Kmail after upgrade to KDE 4. can't read all emails

Claus Hausberger CHausberger at gmx.de
Thu Jan 15 19:46:36 GMT 2009

Hello

> On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Claus Hausberger wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I upgrade to the latest OpenSuse 11.1 with KDE 4.1. Before I used
> > OpenSuse 8.2 with Kmail from KDE 3.
> >
> > I made a backup of the old $HOME/Mail folder where all my Emails are.
>
> How did you create the backup? Onto which medium did you copy
> $HOME/Mail?

I copied everything to a mounted windows partition (FAT 32) as root. Before I copied it back
to the kmail directory, I changed the user and group back to the original user.

> > In order to upgrade my old Emails to the new Kmail, I try the
> > following things, all without much success.
> >
> > 1). I tried to import the backup with the Import feature of Kmail 4.
> > That didn't work. Only about 10% of the old emails were importet.
> >
> > 2) I copied the old Mail folder to $HOME/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail.
> > That worked better. I can see all my emails. But there is a problem
> > with emails in subfolders.  When I click on them the subject changes
> > to "No Subject" and the Sender changes to "Unknown". Before clicking
> > on the email, the information was correct. I did a search via google
> > and found the advice to delete the index files. But that didn't work.
> > After that, all the mails in the subfolders were gone and the folders
> > were empty.
> >

> > I still have the original backup, of course.
> >
> > Any idea on what to do to get all my Emails into the current version
> > of Kmail that comes with OpenSuse 11.1?
>
> Try 2) again, but this time delete the index files of the problematic
> folders before starting KMail.

I tried it. After deleting the *.index files in the subfolders, all the mails are gone in the subfolders. Except for two folders. There I can see the mails. Those folders are the only one who also have *.index.sorted files.

regards,

Claus