[kdepim-users] KMail in 4.2 and netbooks

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 25 20:10:02 GMT 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 18:55:20 Kishore wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 Jan 2009 10:50:03 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > There is a big issue for netbooks in 1.11.0 as it appears with
> > > 4.2.  Is there any way to turn off the day bars in the message
> > > list?  I can't find any way, and you just can't spare the space
> > > on a netbook.  I turned off tooltips because they too are big
> > > enough to obscure too much on a netbook screen - but the setting
> > > doesn't seem to have taken.  I've restarted kontact, but I
> > > haven't logged out.  Do the settings get read in at every start
> > > of kontact or are they cached?
> >
> > You can do this by either adjusting the aggregation or the theme. I
> > suggest that you configure the aggregation method to not perform
> > any grouping.
>
> There isn't a built-in that meets my needs, so I tried configuring my
> own, setting it to Exact Date (of Thread Leaders), Threading: Perfect
> only.  It still insists on putting a date dividing line in.

Hmm, I cloned the aggregation mode "Current Activity, Threaded" and
changed Grouping to None. AFAICT, using this aggregation mode (together
with the Classic theme) gives me the desired result.

Did you select the aggregation mode you created? Apparently, KMail does
not automatically select the newly created mode.

> > Ps. How did you turn off the tooltips? I would like to turn them
> > off as they appear too quickly.
>
> In Configure KMail > Appearance > Message List tab - uncheck 'Display
> tooltips for messages and group headers'.  Then it will ignore you
> and continue to display them :-)

Thomas said he wanted to do something about those tooltips. Hmm...