[kdepim-users] Fingerprint: where?

Ákos Szederjei akos at szederjei.com
Tue Jan 6 10:11:42 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 19:20:29 Dexter Filmore wrote:
> So I had a closer look at GPG.
> Gettign there.
> Now - where's a godd place to put my fingerprint?
> eMail signature? Business Card? Letterbox? T-Shirt?
>
> What's the easiest way to add one's public key with KMail?
>
> Can I use smart cards instead of passphrases? How?
>
> Dex

Dex, do not forget the bumper stickers with with your PGP keys! :)

Seriously, if you want to have an encrypted onversation with someone, they do
not have to attach / send / etc. their public key IF they sign their messages.
The reason is you can search the public key on the key servers.

Example: Let's say I want to have a private email exchange with Ingo. As you
noticed neither of us attaches our public keys to our mails.
(The GUI way...) I open Kgpg and click on the "Key Server Dialog" button  (or
the file menu / key server dilalog). There I choose a key server from the drop
down menu and enter Ingo's email in the field"Text to search or ID of the key
to import". Click Search button. Now I get the GPG key attached to Ingo's mail
and right click and I choose to import it. Know I have Ingo's public key in my
keychain and can send encrypted mails to him.

The point is you do not need, but you may of course, to broadcast you public
key since it is on the key servers, and people can find it. The only condition
is that you sign your emails with your GPG key ,as you quite correctly do.

Hope it helped a bit.

Ákos