[kdepim-users] Moving KMail to another computer

Peter777 peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 2 12:38:06 GMT 2009

Hi,

Started to copy all of the KMail data (mail folders) and config to a USB
stick, to copy it to another computer.

Not all files were copied to the USB stick.  :(

Got an error message:

=======
02/01/09 10:30:31 PM  Unable to copy 1230025101.8449.JS50b:2,S: Cannot create
file "/media/KINGSTON_/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.Temp.directory/ISP/cur/1230025101.8449.JS50b:2,S".
Invalid argument
========

This was using Beyond Compare. I tried with Nautilus and Konqueror, but same
error/problem. The USB stick is definitely not full, checked that and even
deleted loads of files from it.

Here is one of the files that was copied:

======
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.Temp/ISP/cur/1230025102.8449.2uGZo
========

so , Ubuntu doesn't like the strange looking filename, with a colon and a
comma in it, maybe ??

It's definitely not a permissions problem either, as I have full read and
write access to the USB stick (and to the KMail folders).

Also, tried a copy command (at terminal - cp ) , and got the same message, no
way does it like the colons in the filename. It didn't copy the POP3 files
either, as they have colons in them.

Any clues how to fix this please  ?  I'm using KMail 1.9.10 , but that seems
irrelevant, when the operating system spits the dummy on the filename.  :)

Peter