[kdepim-users] Fingerprint: where?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 20:23:54 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> So I had a closer look at GPG.

Excellent idea!

> Gettign there.
> Now - where's a godd place to put my fingerprint?
> eMail signature? Business Card? Letterbox? T-Shirt?

All of the above. ;-)

More serious:
email signature - Doesn't make much sense, if you sign all your messages
because the fingerprint is implicitely included in the signature. More
precisely, the long key ID, i.e. the last 8 bytes of the fingerprint,
are included, but that's sufficient.

business card - This makes sense.

letterbox - Probably not.

T-shirt - This is a cool idea if you go to a fair which is attended by
other people using OpenPGP since those people might ask you to sign
their key in exchange for signing your key. Of course, you'd only do
this after thoroughly verifying the identity of this person. Other
people might ask you what the number means and then you can start a
nice discussion about privacy, encryption, Vorratsdatenspeicherung,
etc., with them.

> What's the easiest way to add one's public key with KMail?

What do you mean? If you have specified your signing key (which you
appear to have done already) then you can attach your public key with
Attach->Attach My Public Key. It's not necessary to attach your public
key to all messages. Instead you should upload your key to a key server
(which you have done already).

> Can I use smart cards instead of passphrases? How?

Yes. See http://www.g10code.com/p-card.html. The FSFE offers such a card
to all of their fellows (http://www.fsfe.org/en/card).

If you have further questions about GnuPG not related to KDE then join
the gnupg-users at gnupg.org list.