[kdepim-users] Fingerprint: where?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 6 13:26:50 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 13:04:30 Kishore wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 Jan 2009 2:32:49 pm Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > No. See my message.

> > > Not necessary since (almost) all key servers synchronize their data
> > > bases. (Those key servers not doing so are not worth using.)

> > > One way to do it is clicking on Show Details, double clicking on the
> > > key ID, pressing Alt+F2, typing 'gpg --recv-keys ', middle clicking
> > > behind the typed text (to paste the key ID), pressing Enter.
> > >
> > > Not very convenient, but probably the fastest way to do it.
> >
> > There is another option that you may or may not want to use.  On the
> > kmail Configure menu, Security section there is an option to
> > automatically import keys and certificates.
> >
> > The upside is that it all happens transparently.  The downside is that it
> > imports every key it encounters, so your keyring might become quite
> > large, and there is a noticeable delay while it fetches keys when it
> > encounters one it doesn't already know.  Of course if you are meeting the
> > same keys over and over that would be a fairly irregular occasion.
>
> I just checked that i have that option set but to no effect.

There does seem to have been a lot of problems with gpg and recent kmail
versions.  It used to work perfectly, but I agree that Ingo's method imported
the key, suggesting that the auto-import is broken in this version (1.10.3).

> > Your choice.  Ingo's method is perfect for importing single keys.
>
> I tried what ingo suggested and now the message has changed. It still says
> "not enough information to..." but has changed the details to read "The
> signature is valid, but the key's validity is unknown". Can I fix that?

I don't think there is anything to fix.  I understand it to say that the key
has not expired or been revoked, so in that sense it's valid, but the key has
not been counter-signed by anyone prepared to say that they have checked that
Dexter really is Dexter :-)  In that sense, the validity is unknown.

Just my interpretation.  There might be some other explanation :-)

Anne