[kdepim-users] Copying digital certificates between machines

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jan 12 21:21:50 GMT 2009

On Monday 12 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 12 January 2009 19:48:47 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Monday 12 January 2009, Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> > > So after seeing the indepth discussion on here a week or so ago
> > > about signing emails and such, I decided to set it up on my end.
> > > I used KGpg to get everything setup and then configured in
> > > Kontact just fine.
> > >
> > > Now I use 2-3 different machines for sending email depending on
> > > if I am on my laptop, office computer or away from the house. I
> > > was wondering how do I easily copy the keys from one machine to
> > > another machine?
> >
> > Either you copy the complete ~/.gnupg folder, or you copy just the
> > two key rings ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg (key ring with public keys) and
> > ~/.gnupg/secring.gpg (key ring with your secret keys). Make sure
> > nobody gets his hands on secring.gpg.
>
> Ingo, can you please clarify what the permissions should be?  Thanks

Here, secring.gpg is only readable and writable by me, i.e. the Access
Permissions (as shown in the Properties dialog) are
  Owner Can Read & Write
  Group Forbidden
  Others Forbidden

The folder ~/.gnupg has Access Permissions
  Owner Can View & Modify Content
  Group Forbidden
  Others Forbidden

I think those are the default permissions gpg sets when it is started
for the first time.