[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] KDE 4.2 KPilot coming! (how to both be excited and have realistic expectations)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jan 27 12:32:42 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2009 19:03:57 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > The drawback is that there will be a bit of delay between Akonadi
> > applications, such as KPilot, applying changes to data and the KDE PIM
> > applications "seeing" it.
>
> Couldn't this be solved by a dbus message "telling" all the proper apps
> that the data has been updated?

The signalling is not the problem, the file change notification takes care of
that pretty well.

The problem is not writing the data for every single change, since this would
(a) be quite inefficient when a lot of changes happen and (b) currently
triggers a reload in the Akonadi resource itself as well, potentially
overwriting unsaved changes.

Since I wasn't able to test the latter issue sufficiently, I'd rather kept the
writeback delay set to "1".
A couple of seconds might already be good enough, but the setting just allows
minutes.

We could probably interpret "0" as "10 seconds", but I didn't want to do that
so close to the release tagging.

However, the situation demonstrates nicely how much everyone will benefit from
Akonadi :)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring