[kdepim-users] Kmail becomes slow while using saved searches

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 20:48:45 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Anoop wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>
wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Anoop wrote:
> >> Hi List,
> >>           I generally use 'saved searches' feature in my mail
> >> client. But when I use this feature in kmail, at times the kmail
> >> folder browsing becomes dead slow. May be, kmail is doing some
> >> sort of caching. I saw this issue in KDE 3.5 and switched to
> >> thunderbird. Now in KDE- 4.1, when I again tried using kmail,
> >> issue is still there. Any thoughts on it? Or any tweak, that may
> >> help?
> >
> > The performance problems with saved searches are known. Until KMail
> > has been ported to Akonadi we suggest not to use saved searches.
>
> Thanks for the information. BTW what KDE release is it expected?

Very much to my regret, I have a track record for making wrong promises
with respect to this particular issue. First I hoped it would happen
for KDE 4.1 and said so on this mailing list. Then I put my hopes on
KDE 4.2. It didn't happen.

During this year's KDE PIM meeting in Osnabrück we came up with a plan
for porting the KDE PIM applications to Akonadi. For KDE 4.3 we plan to
port KAddressBook and KOrganizer to Akonadi. Then, for KDE 4.4, we hope
to port KMail to Akonadi. It is a huge task, so you better don't put
your bets on it.