[kdepim-users] How to merge addressbooks

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Thu Jan 15 17:01:07 GMT 2009

Am Donnerstag 15 Januar 2009 00:14:35 schrieb Robert Smits:
> I have several thousand contacts in my addressbook, and it's a pain keeping
> them all up on both my laptop and my desktops.
>
> Is there a way to merge two address book files so that it auomatically uses
> the latest entry as the correct one?

well,
there are several possible scenarios.
in case you use one machine as a 'master' (add/change entries only there) it
is sufficient to just copy (rsync) the addressesbook from there to all others.

in case you do changes randomly here and there, without instant access to all
other pc's, it gets more complicated, you could use kompare do compare/merge
files manually in this case, but that is probably not what you want.

a better solution is for sure to use kmail's ability to store addresses in
imap folders.
this allows you to set up an IMAP server and use that as a central address
storage, clients which do not always have access to it (e.g. laptops) can be
configured to use DIMAP, which holds local copies and syncs evtl. changes back
automatically when online again.

werner