[kdepim-users] Fingerprint: where?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 23:01:53 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. Januar 2009 20:39:09 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > On Monday 05 January 2009 18:20:29 Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > > So I had a closer look at GPG.
> > > Gettign there.
> > > Now - where's a godd place to put my fingerprint?
> > > eMail signature? Business Card? Letterbox? T-Shirt?
> >
> > You could do any of those, but some might be more efficient than
> > others :-)
>
> so the mail sig as a good place?

No. See my message.

> Should I announce which key server I used as well?

Not necessary since (almost) all key servers synchronize their data
bases. (Those key servers not doing so are not worth using.)

> > > What's the easiest way to add one's public key with KMail?
> >
> > In KMail > Settings > Configure KMail > Identities > select
> > identity, and Modify > Cryptography tab.  You should be able to use
> > the Change button to add your key for signing and for encryption.
>
> Ah, misunderstanding: I meant: someone writes me a signed mail and I
> want to import his/her PK.
> Yours for example. There's no button or such like "import public key
> from server X"

One way to do it is clicking on Show Details, double clicking on the key
ID, pressing Alt+F2, typing 'gpg --recv-keys ', middle clicking behind
the typed text (to paste the key ID), pressing Enter.

Not very convenient, but probably the fastest way to do it.