[kdepim-users] Losing Kontact

Sun Jan 18 16:08:21 GMT 2009

On Sunday 18 Jan 2009 5:33:19 pm Allan Topp wrote:
> I have been using Kontact for 6 months or more and increasingly relying
> on it to "organize my life".  For the period it has been started
> "automatically" as part of Sessions/Start Up Programs" without a problem.
>
> Until this morning.  Error message reporting that it was already running
> - "started anyway" - nothing happens on screen ... but System Monitor
> shows it to be running and using up virtually all cpu cycles.  So I
> stopped the process.
>
> Started again from terminal, cursors blinks interminably, eventually
> Ctrl-C out.  Started yet again from Applications menu - no apparent
> response.
>
> In Synaptic, re-installed.  No change.  Removed all.  Installed.  No
> change.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, how I can confirm it
> ... and, most importantly, how to fix it?
>
> Appreciate any and all help.

Do you see any output at the konsole at all? I have seen a few crashes and
dead locks occur related to the use of resources. I suggest you attemp
launching the components of kontact individually and find out which one causes
kontact to fail.

Try launching individually, kmail, korganizer, akregator, etc. My experience
with this kind of an issue has mostly been with korganizer, and my easy way
out was to delete the resource file. I do *not* however, recommend that you
delete it blindly.
--
Cheers!
Kishore