[kdepim-users] Cannot get gnupg working with kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 21:42:07 GMT 2009

Hi Praedor,

I'm moving this discussion to the kdepim-users mailing list. (The
kmail-devel mailing list used to be used for discussions about the
development, but not usage, of KMail. Nowadays, kmail-devel only
functions as assignee for older bug reports, so it is basically dead.)

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Praedor Atrebates wrote:
> I am running KDE 4.1.3 on a Mandriva 2009.0 install.  I followed the
> same gnupg/gpg-agent instructions that I did for kde3.x but they are
> not working in kde4.
>
> I have gnupg, pineentry-qt, and all the necessary support libs
> installed as per the instructions at kontact.kde.org/kmail.  What
> happens is I am unable to encrypt or decrypt messages because
> connections to log-socket are refused no matter what I do.  Whenever
> I start a new terminal session, I always see: "can't connect to
> `/home/praedor/.gnupg/log-socket': Connection refused" UNLESS I run
> KWatchgnupg, which I am loath to do because it eats up restricted
> kpanel space with its icon/applet AND it always starts maximized with
> no way to start it minimized, so I always have to close the intrusive
> window after startup.
>
> What is the procedure for getting gnupg working in kde4 without the
> annoying "can't connect to" message and without having to run
> kwatchgnupg?

Do I understand correctly that encryption/decryption works only if
kwatchgnupg is running? Does signing work with/without kwatchgnupg
running?