[kdepim-users] Cumulative problem?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:20:53 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 16:22:21 Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 14:22:11 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I mentioned yesterday that I had changed the Desktop Effects backend from
> > OpenGL to XRender.  The improvement was immediate, and startling.  I
> > still want another day or two to be absolutely certain, but it looks as
> > though most of the performance problems have gone.  KMail doesn't take
> > those long pauses any more.  X and kwin still top the list of cpu users,
> > but they now take 10-12% cpu between them.
> >
> > I know that other people may have quite different factors, but in the
> > light of my experience this is something that  is definitely worth
> > checking out.
>
> Thanks for the tip. For the record I describe my experiences after one day
> of XRender usage:
>
> - applications are working much smoother, thanks!
> - KWin and other 3D effects are slower
> - even with extra smoothing quality of effects is a bit lower than with
> OpenGL rendering; for example with OpenGL smoothing I was able to easily
> read text on web pages or Konsole tabs in Windows present thumbs, with
> XRender it is hard or in some cases impossible.
>
> So, there are some trade-offs but XRender option is very good alternative
> for people experiencing problems with default OpenGL rendering.
>
> Also I noticed that in many cases (but not all!) Konqueror freezing when
> connection may be caused by nspluginviewer. In big majority of cases I was
> able to "fix" things with `kill -2`.

I'll file a bug report this evening, all being well, and post the number here.

Things do generally continue to be better, although today I've seen a number
of 2-second freezes - something that hasn't been happening for the last couple
of days.  Again, it will take some monitoring to find out why.

Anne