[kdepim-users] Mail transfer doesn't work

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:08:07 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 22:17:49 John Culleton wrote:
> I have mail, directories and filters on my old computer that I want to
> bring to my new one. The old one used Slackware 12.0 with KDE 1.9.7
> and kde 3.5.7. The new one uses kmail 1.9.10 with kde 3.5.10.
>
> I brought the entire /home/safe directory over from the old system via
> nc and put it in a different directory called /home/safer. I can get
> at my emails in //home/safer. I can read this email on the new system
> if I give a second password.
>
> Now I want to transfer the whole shebang, messages, folders and
> filters to my new /home/safe user.

My advice would be to copy (not move) all the /home/safer/.kde/share/ and
/kde/config sections that refer to your mail into the new place.

> But all attempts at importing the
> contents to /home/safe fail.

Are you accessing them as a user called 'safe'?  Have you checked ownership
and permissions for them?

> Either I get nothing or I get messages
> that disappear as soon as I access them.

Not sure about that, but to be safe, delete all index files.  They will be re-
created.  It may not be related to this particular problem, but a corrupt
index file can cause such problems.

> Given these two directories on my new system how do I get everything
> form A to B and still have everything keep on working?  Either the
> import feature doesn't work or I am not using it correctly.

I don't think you need worry about any 'import' routine - just copy them to
the correct place.  Import is usually when pulling in from a different
application.

> I have some older emails in a directory called Mail that I would like
> to resurrect also. How do I import them successfully?

Again, I think that just copying them to the correct place will do the trick.

I'm a firm believer in copying rather than moving.  That way, if it goes wrong
you've lost nothing.  Similarly I rename files/folders rather than overwrite
them if there is any doubt at all about the safety of what I'm doing.  I think
copying as I suggest will work.  If it doesn't you've lost nothing.

Anne