[kdepim-users] Importing rather than moving mail?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:36:16 GMT 2009

I've had an exchange today with a guy who wanted to move his mail from  distro
that must be 2-3 years old - back in the days when the defult destination was
~/Mail - to a current distro with KDE 4.  I'm not sure I've got the sequence
of events right, but he tried copying the mail to the new destination, and he
tried importing it.  He ended up with an odd display in the folder list panel,
and nothing in the message list or message preview panels.  Eventually he set
about removing kmail altogether to get a clean start.

In the end he did manage to import the mail, so he's puzzled, but satisfied.
Meanwhile, I've not heard of this before.  Are there some circumstances where
just copying your mail folders to the new destination won't work?  I don't
want to be giving bad advice on this.

Anne