[kdepim-users] Still having encoding problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 15 11:24:52 GMT 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009 22:27:37 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure KMail only does what it is told to do. If the
> > > message advertises the charset as ISO-8859-1 (latin1) then KMail
> > > uses this charset for decoding/displaying. If the message
> > > advertises the charset as ISO-8859-15 (latin9; don't you love the
> > > consistent numbering schemes ;-) ) then KMail uses latin9.
> >
> > The headers say it is 8859-1
> >
> > > ...unless the user forces KMail to do something else, e.g. by
> > > setting an override character encoding.
> >
> > KMail is set to Auto
> >
> > > It'd be great if you could forward such a message to me.
> >
> > On its way :-)
>
> The message is a multipart/alternative message with plain text part and
> HTML part. The interesting lines of the message are:
>
> [...]
> [...]
>
> So the charset is specified for the enclosing multipart/alternative body
> part, but no charset is specified for the enclosed text/plain body part
> or the enclosed text/html body part. Therefore KMail uses the fallback
> encoding for the text in the text/plain body part and the text/html
> body part. Anne told me that she had set the fallback encoding to
> ISO-8859-15. This explains Anne's observation.
>
> A message with correctly specified charset would look as follows:
>
> [...]
> [...]
So now we all understand a little more about how this all ties together.
Good.  I hate mysteries :-)

It seems I had misunderstood 'fallback'.  My (wrong) logic said that it would
be used if utf-8 had any problems with the content.  Now I understand its
purpose I have simply set the fallback to utf-8.  Hopefully all will display
better for the change :-)

Thanks for taking the time to educate us, Ingo :-)

Anne