[kdepim-users] Encoding-Problems Kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 1 18:24:20 GMT 2009

On Sunday 01 February 2009, maxmadmax at web.de wrote:
> Debian Lenny
> KDE 3.5.10
>

> Hello,
>
>  I am a german user and there are problems with the encoding of
> emails containig german characters (Umlaute) as oe, ue, ae.
>
> Writing emails all these characters are displayed correctly. As soon
> as the mails are sent and moved to the sent-box, the letters are
> replaced by latin1 as far as I can tell:
>
> Grüße (Gruesse)  ==> GrÌße.

This is UTF-8.

> Incomig emails are sometimes encoded correctly, sometimes not. These
> may  have external causes.
>
> My locale.alias
> deutsch         de_DE.ISO-8859-1
>
> My locale.gen
>
> de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
>
> I also tried the
> de_DE.ISO-8859-15 at euro
>
> Any ideas how to set the encoding correctly?

Maybe you have set a fixed override encoding in KMail. Check the Message
Window tab on the Appearance page of KMail's settings dialog.

"Fallback character encoding" should be set to the encoding that most
messages lacking encoding information are encoded with. I've set it to
Western European (iso-8859-15).

"Override character encoding" should be set to Auto unless there is a
very good reason not to do so. Otherwise, all messages are treated as
being encoded with the "Override character encoding" which will cause
problems with differently encoded messages.