[kdepim-users] Still having encoding problems

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 22:52:11 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 20:33:54 phep wrote:
> > Anne Wilson a écrit :
> > > I'm flabbergasted!  So an English company sends out English email
> > > to English customers, using an encoding that will make no sense
> > > to them?
> > >
> > > KMail didn't get it wrong - the headers say charset="iso-8859-1".
> > >  I guess they've just got a new Windows install :-)
> >
> > Sorry, I made a copy/paste error in my previous message : I meant
> > "ISO-8859-1 displayed as ISO-8859-15".
> >
> > According to what you observed, it's KMail's fault as I considered
> > previously. ISO-8859-15 is mainly used for it introduced the €
> > (Euro) character in ISO-8859 tables. I understand that this may not
> > be what an English company might wish to use ;-).
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Unless I'm much mistaken, 8859-15 is actually mostly used in British
> English mail.  The € is present, but so is the £, so that's no
> problem.  I'm guessing that it is a new setup and they haven't
> realised that they have a different charset.  I've emailed them and
> gently pointed it out :-)
>
> Meanwhile, if you are saying that kmail displayed it as 8859-15, I
> guess I should file a bug.

I'm pretty sure KMail only does what it is told to do. If the message
advertises the charset as ISO-8859-1 (latin1) then KMail uses this
charset for decoding/displaying. If the message advertises the charset
as ISO-8859-15 (latin9; don't you love the consistent numbering
schemes ;-) ) then KMail uses latin9.

...unless the user forces KMail to do something else, e.g. by setting an
override character encoding.

It'd be great if you could forward such a message to me.